In its 32nd Edition, Knives 2012
progresses with the knives, showcasing the increasing talent of the world's best knifemakers who forge and grind curvaceous blades, fashion handles from the finest materials and practice embellishment techniques saved for only the most skilled artisans.
- Carving titanium handles
- Making knife blades from Lake Superior beach sand
- Hollywood movie knives and swords
- Anglo-Saxon and Viking swords
- AND...the finer points of Bob Loveless knives
- World's most complete Directory of Custom Knifemakers includes websites, emails and phone numbers
- Hot Trends in handmade knives
- State Of The Art embellishments and knifemaking techniques
- Historical overview of knives and their makers
Savor the hand-selected, splendid color photography of some of the most beautiful and original custom knives in the world, chosen from over 2,000 submissions.
As blade steel technology advances, makers turn their attention to knife grips fashioned from exotic woods, mother-of-pearl, ancient ivory, carbon fiber, mammoth tooth, carved and anodized titanium, abalone, stag and water buffalo horn.
Frames, bolsters and guards are engraved, gold inlayed, jewel encrusted, sculpted, carved and cast in bronze or silver. Scrimshaw images lie just below the surface of ivory, while silver wire wraps around knives like a snake on a scepter.
The ever-evolving, magical world of custom knives, knifemaking techniques and embellishments is captured in full, glorious color between the covers of the most coveted book on edged masterpieces— Knives 2012. ABOUT THE EDITOR:
Joe Kertzman, an avid knife enthusiast, is managing editor of BLADE Magazine. Other books by Kertzman include Art of the Knife
and BLADE's Guide to Making Knives